Outdated wiring can be a danger to your home. Not only is it inefficient, but also it can cause fires and other hazards. If you need new wiring, it’s best to do it sooner rather than later. But, how do you know whether or not your wires are faulty? A White Marsh electrician can tell you during a consultation. Read on to learn more. and you can also watch for these signs.
When You Need to Rewire Your House
There are several signs that indicate faulty wiring:
- Be aware of any burning smells. You never want to smell anything burning in your house. If the scent is definitely coming from outlets or appliances, you need to have your wiring checked out right away.
- If lights consistently flicker, contact an electrician for an inspection. Your lights should be steady when they are on. If your lights flicker or dim on occasion, check to see if the bulb is connected correctly. You may need to rewire your house if the flickering persists.
- If your switch plates have changed in color recently, then they may be overheating. Something as simple as a color change can help you to identify wiring issues.
- Circuit breakers will trip when they are overheated. If this happens on a regular basis, it could be the wiring that is causing the breaker to trip.
- If you’re replacing light bulbs constantly, and in the same fixtures, electrical outlet wiring could be faulty. Bad wiring will cause bulbs to wear out quicker than they should.
Hire a White Marsh Electrician
Whenever it comes to wiring, it’s better safe than sorry. If your home is older and it still has the original wiring, it’s important to have a professional complete an inspection. Even if there are no visible wiring issues, there might be outdated installations and wiring issues that should be addressed. Contact the professionals at Tim Kyle Electric to give you a free consultation.