There are more than 51,000 home electrical fires in the United States every year. These fires cause almost 500 deaths annually, more than 1,400 injuries, and a shocking $1.3 million in property damage. Homeowners can reduce the risk of home electrical fires by understanding when their house needs rewiring. Keep reading for all the warning signs.
Warning Signs You Need Electrical Rewiring
To avoid putting yourself and your family in unnecessary danger, learn to recognize some common warning signs. This includes:
- Your breaker constantly breaking or blowing fuses
- An electrical panel that is showing signs of being overused
- Dimming and flickering lights
- Switchplates, cords, or plugs that get hot after use
- Lights bulbs always burning out in their socket
- Buzzing sounds coming from your electrical panels or sockets
- Electric shocks when you plug in cords or touch them
- Cracked, cut, or broken insulation
- Loose electrical outlets
- A burning smell
- Sparks flying out of your outlet when you plug or unplug a cord
- Overuse of extension cords for power
- An excess of ungrounded, two-prong outlets
Other Factors to Consider
Even if your home isn’t showing the above warning signs, there are other factors you should consider. If your home is over 40 years old, it is probably time for rewiring. Some older homes have aluminum instead of copper wiring, which deteriorates faster. Additionally, if you’ve made significant home improvements to your house recently or added new appliances, they can be straining your electrical systems. This sudden surge for electricity can impact your old electrical systems. Call an electrician to inspect your home and advise if you need upgrades to your wiring to match your new appliances.
Electrician Baltimore County: Tim Kyle Electric
If you require a rewiring inspection for your home, Tim Kyle Electric is the top choice for an electrician Baltimore County. The professional technicians at Tim Kyle Electric are available 24/7 and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee for all jobs. A home inspection will give you peace of mind and help prevent you from being a part of a terrible statistic. Contact Tim Kyle Electric for your home inspection and quote today.