As a homeowner, it can be challenging to remember all of the things you need to update and keep track of. Home wiring is one of those responsibilities that gets overlooked when it should really be a top priority. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, fire departments respond to over 25,000 electric fires annually. Electrical fires are incredibly dangerous, causing injuries, fatalities, and billions of dollars in damages every year. Wondering if it’s time to rewire your home? Keep reading to find out the common warning signs.
Time to Rewire Your Home
These warning signs are an indication that you may need rewiring work done in your home:
- Breakers or fuses are often tripping or blowing.
- You have an over-fused or over-amped electrical panel.
- Plugs, switch plates, or cords are hot or discolored.
- There is a burning smell from your outlets, electrical panels, or appliances.
- Outlets are loose.
- Buzzing or sizzling sounds occur.
- Lights dim or flicker.
- An outlet arcs or sparks when you plug or unplug a cord.
- You have cracked, broken, or cut insulation.
- Light bulbs burn out when they’re in a socket.
If your home is more than 40 years old, you may also need to consider having an electrician rewire your home. Significant home renovations or upgraded, new appliances can also put a strain on your existing electrical system. Be sure to contact an electrician if you have more ungrounded, two-prong outlets than three-prong outlets, or if you rely on extension cords for extra power access.
Tim Kyle Electric Offers Electrical Repairs and Rewiring
Only a professional electrician can determine if your home needs rewiring. They can inspect your home and safely determine how much work needs to be done. Tim Kyle Electric is the top electrician in Carroll County, offering residential electrical repairs and rewiring services. Contact us today to book an appointment.