electrical fire - Tim Kyle

Home Safety Issues: Dealing with an Electrical Fire

Electricity can be found in every room in every house. It lights every corner and warms every space. However, while electricity simplifies our lives, it also has the potential for danger. Electrical malfunction is the cause of most home fires, with most electrical fires starting in the kitchen. Know the warning signs to protect your home from an electrical fire.

Causes of Electrical Fires

  • Faulty outlets and unsafe appliances. Old electrical sockets and outdated appliances that don’t meet current safety standards are the worst offenders.
  • Lamps and light bulbs with incorrect wattage. A light fixture using a light bulb that has a wattage that is too high is one of the leading causes of home fires.
  • Overloaded extension cords. Appliances should be plugged into extension cords for a limited duration and not left plugged in for long periods.
  • Portable space heaters. These heaters can become fire hazards when placed too close to curtains, beds, sofas and rugs.
  • Outdated wiring. When many new electrical appliances are added to an outdated wiring system, the old wiring is often unable to cope with the increased electrical load.

How to Put Out An Electrical Fire

Small, contained fires can be successfully extinguished with baking soda. If you can detect which device or appliance has caught fire, you can attempt to unplug it from the power source. However, only proceed if it is safe to do so. Also, a Class C fire extinguisher is your best line of defense against electrical fires. Water should never be used to put out an electrical fire!

It is important to know when you can attempt to put out a fire by yourself and when it should be left to the professionals. The smell of burning wiring should have you immediately summoning the fire department. Any wiring that starts to spark is also a reason to call for professional assistance. However, if at any time you see that the fire is spreading despite your attempts to contain it, then you will need to evacuate your house immediately.

Despite these hazards, preventing electrical fires can be very simple and straightforward and can be expertly attended to by your residential electrical service. To find out more, contact Tim Kyle Electric. We provide commercial and residential electrical service to Frederick County and the greater Baltimore area. With Tim Kyle Electric, your family’s safety is our top priority.

 

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email