Electrical fires are different from other home fires, such as grease or kitchen fires. In contrast, they originate within the electrical wiring system within your home. These fires are deadly, tragic, and often unseen. A Perry Hall electrician notes that smoking or warm outlets or humming or buzzing when you flip a switch are potential warning signs. Read on to learn more.
Common Causes of Electrical Fires
Electrical fires originate from bad electrical outlets or wiring that is worn, frayed, or outdated. Bad electrical outlets are either worn or they have loose sockets that haven’t been properly grounded. When this happens, your wires will get loose or break. Electricity escapes through disconnected wires which then results in an electrical fire. To prevent further damage, have outlets inspected and replaced as soon as possible by an electrician. Failure to do so results in further damage from electrical fires.
Faulty electrical wiring that’s old or outdated is another root cause of electrical fires. Sometimes the age of your home is a critical factor in determining how strong and safe your electrical wiring is. Or you may live in a home that was built in the late 60s or early 70s. In this case, aluminum wiring may be your primary culprit for an electrical fire.
Your wiring may also be outdated if your lights flicker on and off or you start to notice strange, burning smells coming from your outlets. Other issues such as sparks or shocks that come from appliance or devices indicate you need to update your home’s electrical wiring system.
Contact a Perry Hall Electrician
Electrical fires are one of the leading causes of serious injuries and death. Knowing the signs and causes is the first step in prevention. Having your home’s electrical wiring system upgraded is a must. If you notice any signs and need electrical rewiring for your home, call Tim Kyle Electric today to schedule an appointment.