Holiday lights are festive and synonymous with the season. However, an uptick in searches for “electrical companies near me” demonstrates how electrical decorations can be dangerous and costly. You don’t need to skip out on this exciting part of winter. Instead, read on to learn a few electrical safety tips and still enjoy the sparkle.
Safety Tips for Electric Decorations This Holiday Season
Tim Kyle Electric recommends the following safety tips:
- Always check lights before using. This step prevents you from hanging up a dead strand and having to take them back down.
- Practice ladder safety. While this isn’t necessarily Christmas electrical safety, it’s a vital precaution that can prevent injuries. If you need a ladder to hang decorations, place it on a sturdy, level area. Always have someone holding or watching it as you climb.
- Be mindful of the weather. Watch the weather forecast when hanging electrical decorations to ensure no rain or snow is coming.
- Do not overload outlets. Never plug too many cords into one outlet, and don’t plug one power strip into another. Despite the cold weather outside, using too much electricity in one outlet can contribute to overheating and cause a fire.
- Shut the lights off any indoor or outdoor decorations when you go to bed or leave the house to prevent overheating. Your lights may have a timer you can set so they automatically turn off at certain times to help you stay on top of this.
Electrical Companies Near Me
If you notice any electrical problems, such as flashing or dimming lights, or frequently tripped breakers, get the problem corrected before hanging decorations. You don’t want to further exasperate an issue by overloading your system with electrical decorations. You should also contact a professional if you have any questions about Christmas electrical safety. Tim Kyle Electrical is just a search away for “electrical companies near me.” We can answer any electricity-related questions to ensure you stay safe. Plus, if you have any electrical problems, we can be there to correct them. Contact us today.