Hanging Christmas lights in, out, and around the home is one of the most popular traditions all over the world. However, it can quickly turn dangerous if you are not careful. Ironically, thousands of people get injured trying to put up Christmas décor and lighting every year. Avoid injury this season with these Christmas lighting safety tips.
How Can You Decorate Safely for Christmas?
It goes without saying: if you use candles for decorating, then keep an eye on them. The same rule of thumb applies to indoor and outdoor Christmas lights. A Christmas lighting safety plan always starts with a sturdy ladder, the right type of extension cord, and GFCI outlets (if plugging lights in outdoors). In addition:
- Do not leave your Christmas lights on when you leave the house or go to bed.
- If your outdoor extension cords are at ground level, then you may be exposing them to water or snow. You should elevate them to keep your decorations running without any incident.
- Make sure your extension cords are the right type and the right length. Place them discretely to avoid tripping.
- Avoid hanging antiquated lights, which use old hardware. They may lack fused plugs: plugs that keep sparks from shooting out in case of a short circuit.
- If you have any bulbs that have burnt out, replace them as soon as you can.
- Use indoor lights and outdoor lights appropriately. Do not use your indoor lights for outside lighting.
- If you need to use replacement bulbs, ensure that they are the correct size before inserting.
- If your outdoor trees are in contact with power lines, then do not install any lights on them.
Happy Holidays from Tim Kyle Electric
Be safe this holiday season and ensure that all your decorations meet current safety standards. Contact Tim Kyle Electric Co., a commercial and residential electrical company serving Howard County, Maryland, for all of your electrical needs. Our team of professional and experienced technicians who will provide you with exceptional service.