While a toaster may seem like the most harmless of kitchen appliances, it does come with certain risks. Improper handling of small kitchen appliances, such as toasters, can be dangerous and may lead to electrical shocks or even fire. By following some simple safety tips, you can easily avoid toaster-related accidents in your home.
Safety Precautions to Avoid Electrical Shocks
Toasters use a fair amount of electricity and when a person comes into contact with that current, electrical shocks are imminent. More than 400 workers die each year in the United States of electrical shock. The following safety precautions can help you and your family to ensure proper operation of the toaster:
- Never stick anything into the slots of the toaster, especially a metal object such as a knife. This creates an extreme risk of shock.
- Don’t store your toaster near the sink or any other water source as this presents another severe shock risk.
- Make sure to keep the crumb tray clean and the toaster clean and in good repair to avoid fire. Never use water or any other cleaning fluid inside the toaster and only clean the toaster when it’s unplugged.
- If there are cracks or other damage on the toaster, or if it begins sparking or making odd sounds, unplug it and discontinue use immediately.
- Unplug the toaster between uses.
- Only buy your toaster from a reputable vendor and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and cleaning.
- Regularly check for recalls on your toaster and other kitchen appliances.
Serious Issues With Small Kitchen Appliances
If you notice issues with your toaster or other kitchen appliances, check first if the plug or socket feel hot to the touch or are making a crackling or buzzing sound. It can also help to check the circuit breaker to ensure it isn’t tripped. If any of these things have occurred, contact an electrician to investigate the issue. A certified electrician will be able to diagnose the root of the problem and take the correct action to protect you and your family from electrical shocks.
For honest and reliable residential electrical service in Towson and surrounding areas, contact Tim Kyle Electric. We strive to make the experience of inviting us into your home a comfortable – dare we even say enjoyable – one.