Taking care of electrical problems in your home is an important part of keeping yourself and your family safe. If you have a hot outlet, you’ve got a bigger problem that you need to fix. If you notice one of your outlets getting a little too hot, here’s what you should know.
Why Do Outlets Get Hot?
When an electrical current is passed to an outlet and into a cord, the outlet isn’t supposed to absorb the heat. Since this outlet is made of plastic, absorbing that heat can cause problems that include melted plastic and fire hazards.
One of the most common reasons that electrical outlets get hot is because they aren’t grounded. An electrician will recommend that all the outlets in your house are properly grounded. This will prevent arcs from creating sparks and causing fire hazards. However, many older homes have old outlets that aren’t grounded. One way to tell if you have ungrounded outlets in your home is to locate any outlets only have two prongs.
Fixing a Hot Outlet
Fixing a hot electrical outlet starts with figuring out what’s actually causing your outlet to get warm. While it could be a result of an ungrounded outlet, it could also be a result of too much voltage being sent to a particular outlet. Contact an electrician to investigate any outlets that are getting warm. In addition, test them to see if there are any problems present.
If you live in an older home with an electrical system that hasn’t been replaced in a long time, you should have an electrician take a look at your outlets and wiring. Electrical wiring is only designed to last so long. So, it may be the case that it’s time to have your wiring or outlets replaced purely based on age.
Electrical problems are more than just an inconvenience, they can also cause a lot of fire hazards. This is why you need to call an electrician in Perry Hall. If you notice an outlet getting a little too warm, call Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling today.