GFCI outlets - Tim Kyle

Does Your Outlet Smell Like Burning Plastic?

Have you ever encountered a burning plastic smell in your house? As far as you can tell, there is nothing burning or melting. However, the smell is coming from a power outlet. Read on to find out why and when you need to call your local Pikesville electrician.

Common Causes of a Burning Outlet

There are several issues that can cause an electrical outlet to smell like burning plastic, such as:

  • A circuit board overload
  • Damaged wiring within the power outlet
  • Exposed or improperly installed wiring
  • A fire in the outlet box

If you detect a burning plastic smell from an outlet, the first step would be to unplug anything connected to it. The same goes for if you get a tingling feeling when you plug something in. Also be on the lookout for a discolored cover that is either faded or turning black. Remember that a power outlet should never feel hot. Listen carefully for any popping or sizzling sounds. If you detect any of these things, turn off the power supply to that area at the breaker box or circuit board.

Call Tim Kyle Electric

The final step is to call your local Pikesville electrician. At Tim Kyle Electric, we have trained professionals who can determine what is causing your outlets to smell of burning plastic. Wiring and main electrical panels in older homes can easily become outdated. We can assess the situation and take care of any of your rewiring or electrical panel needs. Your family’s safety is our top priority.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

WE ARE CURRENTLY OPEN AND OPERATING. PLEASE CLICK TO READ MORE ABOUT OUR CURRENT STATUS AND PRATICES DURING THIS SITUATION.