Periodically, every home should have an electrical safety inspection. Protect your home and family against the risk of fire or electrical shock by taking the following steps, and contact Tim Kyle Electric to handle this and all other home electricity-related tasks.
When to Schedule an Electrical Safety Inspection
Schedule an electrical safety inspection when buying a home, renovating, or installing new appliances. Having an inspection will catch any electrical problems that may have developed over time.
What to Check
An electrical service professional conducts inspections which typically include the following checks:
- Breaker boxes. An electrician inspects every breaker box in the home for any signs of failure or evidence of excessive heat. Wiring entry points should not show any signs of corrosion, aging, or other physical damage. A breaker box should not have signs of intrusion by rodents or insects, which can build nests or chew through wiring.
- Junction boxes. An electrician inspects heavy service cables from the electric entry point down to the meter base for any signs of damage. Professionals will also check outdoor breaker boxes, control boxes, and splices.
- Outlets, switches, and fixtures. Outlets require testing for proper grounding, mounting, and connections. Kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms should contain GFCI outlets. An electrician also examines control switches for connections and inspects light fixtures for proper attachment and safety.
- Paths of Wiring. An electrician examines attics, basements, access panels, and other visible areas where your wiring is routed for any signs of damage or decay.
- Outdoor lighting and outlets. Finally, an electrician inspects outdoor electrical devices to ensure they have proper insulation from moisture, heat and cold, and wind. Outdoor outlets should all be GFCI and tested for proper safety function.
Schedule an Inspection
Contact a local professional to have an electrical safety inspection scheduled. For reliable residential electrical service in Pikesville, Maryland, contact Tim Kyle Electrical Service.