When it comes to home maintenance and general repairs, most homeowners can tackle the small obstacles, whether that’s a simple fan replacement, light bulb change, or something more advanced like replacing a light switch. However, diving into the realm of electricity and home wiring can be tricky, and the general rule of thumb here is to step back and let electricians work their magic with the following common electrical issues.
Most Common Household Electrical Issues
“According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), electrical failures or malfunctions were factors in an estimated 43,700 home fires in 2011. These fires caused 430 deaths, 1,620 injuries, and $1.5 billion in property damage. In half of the fires started by electrical failures or malfunctions some type of electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in ignition.”
Often times calling an electrician is the best policy. Although you may have a general understanding of home repairs, electrical issues can be dangerous and require professional knowledge to diagnosis and repair. And with that being said, here are some of the most common electrical issues you may encounter as a homeowner:
- Light bulbs – Easily the most common, light bulbs can either burn out or simply fail to work properly due to loose connections or overheating. Faulty bulbs are, of course, a fire hazard.
- Outlets fail to work – Usually this is a breaker-related problem and just requires a simple reset. It could also be a poor electrical connection. Use caution when working around failed outlets!
- Breakers constantly “trip” (shut off) – This is related to the wiring of your home and means a circuit is overloaded with current. To prevent the risk of fires, homeowners will usually add a circuit or even upgrade their utility plan.
- Warm Wall Switches – This occurs due to faulty switch replacement or installation.
- Electrical Costs Seem Out of Place – If you have noticed an increase in your electrical bill that doesn’t add up, then relax: it may be a leaky pipe. This will put more strain on your hot water heater, and therefore on your wallet.
- Lights flicker or blink – This is usually a circuit issue. Calling an electrician is your best bet as there’s little to be done with a basic understanding of home electrical systems.
To choose the best commercial electrical contractor for your property and to know you’re getting a licensed professional to handle all your common electrical issues, get in touch with Tim Kyle Electric. You can talk to an expert about new installations of lighting and wiring, among other things, for your home or business.
About Tim Kyle Electric
Tim Kyle Electric has been delighting our customers with responsive, trusted and professional electrical services since 1986. We provide residential, commercial and solar power services and are experts in our field. Our team of professionally trained employees uphold our core values of honesty, respect and integrity. We are available 24/7 for your electrical servicing needs. Get in touch with us today to discuss your next electrical project.