There are always precautions you have to take when dealing with a fire, but you have to be extra careful when it comes to dealing with an electrical fire. Here’s what you need to know if there’s an electrical fire in your home.
What Is an Electrical Fire?
Every time a fire occurs, professionals work to determine the cause of the fire. Sometimes the fire is caused by a lit cigarette or a fireplace that was left unattended, but other times it’s the result of some sort of electrical problem. Electrical fires may be caused by faulty outlets, old appliances, bad wiring, or problems with cords, receptacles, switches, and more. Since electrical currents create heat, electrical problems can easily lead to fires. This is why it’s important to have your electrical system inspected regularly.
Proper Handling Electrical Fires
When it comes to dealing with electrical fires, do not put water on the fire. Not only will this make the problem worse, but also it causes further damage to your electrical system. To properly deal with an electrical fire in your home, the first thing you want to do is shut off power to the electrical system. After you’ve cut the power, use a Class-A fire extinguisher to get rid of the flames around the source of the fire.
Sometimes you won’t be able to cut power to your electrical system safely, in which case you should use a Class-C rated fire extinguisher to take care of the fire itself. Whether you’ve cut the power or not, the next step is to smother the fire with a fire blanket to make sure it’s fully extinguished. As a final precaution, you can use water to extinguish the last bit of the fire and make sure it’s all out.
Electrical fires are no joke, which is why it’s so important that you know how to deal with them in case one occurs in your home. However, preventive maintenance is one of the biggest keys. If you’re looking the best residential electrician Howard County Maryland has to offer, Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling has you covered. Give us a call today to find out more about how we can help you prevent electrical fires.